Note: This information does not in any way constitute medical advice, an attempt to diagnose a medical condition, or substitute for medical treatment. OPTAVIA recommends that you contact your healthcare provider before starting and throughout your weight loss journey.
All of OPTAVIA’s meal plans incorporate six small meals, one every 2-3 hours, which works well for people who have had bariatric surgery since they are unable to tolerate large portions at one time. Each meal is calorie- and carbohydrate-controlled to help keep blood sugar levels stable and contains high-quality, complete protein which helps retain lean muscle mass. OPTAVIA Fuelings are also fortified with 24 vitamins and minerals.
For those who have recently undergone surgery (<6 months), there are likely specific dietary needs and restrictions that may or may not align with the OPTAVIA Program. Therefore, we recommend you consult with your healthcare provider and surgeon to determine if and when the OPTAVIA Program may be appropriate for you.
Here are a few considerations related to the OPTAVIA Program that we recommend you discuss with your healthcare provider:
- Ask your healthcare provider if you need a multivitamin or other supplement while on the OPTAVIA Program and take as directed. Even though OPTAVIA Fuelings are fortified to give you 100% of the daily value for 20 vitamins and minerals on the Optimal Weight 5 & 1 Plan®, some forms of bariatric surgery may require additional supplementation.
- Split the Lean & Green meal in half if you are unable to tolerate the full portion at one time. Have half of the meal at one of your six meal times and the other half with a Fueling. For example, you could have 3 oz. cooked chicken breast with a ¾ cup broccoli at lunch, and 3 oz. cooked chicken breast with ¾ cup broccoli at dinner with a Fueling, like the OPTAVIA Essential Sour Cream & Chive Smashed Potatoes. Alternatively, you can space your meals every 2 hours so that you can have the second half as a seventh meal. Just be sure you do not skip any of your meals as you may miss out on key nutrients.
- Choose Fuelings and Lean & Green options that have less volume and are easier to digest, like the OPTAVIA shakes or bars, Flavors of Home, low-fat cottage cheese, canned meat (e.g., tuna or chicken canned in water), eggs, and pureed or mashed vegetables.
- Avoid drinking liquids immediately before, during, and after meals. Avoid alcohol (which is already not recommended during the weight loss phase of your journey) and carbonated drinks.
- Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly.
We recommend that you consult your healthcare provider prior to starting any weight loss program, and during the course of your weight loss program. The OPTAVIA Overview for Healthcare Providers is a good resource for you to share with your healthcare provider so they understand the program and meal plan options.